Published: Tue, July 10, 2018
Sports | By Brooke Harris

Sunglasses and chocolates: Eight boys rescued from Thai cave recovering

Sunglasses and chocolates: Eight boys rescued from Thai cave recovering

Three more people were rescued from a flooded Thai cave on Tuesday, officials said, bringing to 11 the number saved and raising hopes all members of the young football team who became trapped 18 days ago would survive.

Chiang Rai Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn says the rescue mission began at 10.08 a.m. and involves 19 divers.

Dozens of foreign divers and other experts from around the world were brought in to help the rescue effort, working alongside Thai Navy SEALs.

On Tuesday morning the first four boys rescued over the weekend were given bread and chocolate after asking for some of their favorite dishes from home. However it was not clear if the 25-year-old coach was among them or if he remained inside. Thai Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-ocha visited the hospital Monday, and spoke to relatives and hospital workers.

"All 12 "Wild Boars" and coach have been extracted from the cave", the post said.

The boys were carried out on a stretcher on Tuesday, making them the first two to come out on the rescue's third day.

More news: Turkey's New Era: Turkish President Erdogan takes oath of office

Relive all the afternoon's drama from the Tham Luang cave as day three of the rescue began.

"It is certainly a risk and can take some time to manifest itself and make its presence known", said Andrew Watson, a specialist on rescues from mines and floods trapped.

All 12 boys and their soccer coach have been rescued from a flooded Thai cave complex where they were trapped for more than two weeks, according to the country's navy SEALs.

On Sunday morning, former Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osotthanakorn said a team of 13 global divers and five Thai navy Seal members went into the cave to commence the mission.

However, the divers escorted eight of the boys out on Sunday and Monday, and authorities said they were aiming to extract the remaining members of the group on Tuesday.

Nargonsak said this phase may take longer than the previous two rescue missions, which took up to 11 hours.

More news: Rain adds urgency to rescue of last five trapped in Thai cave

Two of the boys possibly have a lung infection but all eight are generally "healthy and smiling", he said.

The group will now be transferred to a hospital in Chiang Rai's state capital where they will stay for observation for at least seven days.

This means that a total of eleven boys are now out of the caves, and on their way for hospital observation via helicopter.

"They are all in good spirits and happy to be out", Jedsada Chokdamrongsuk, permanent secretary of the public health ministry, told reporters. "The equipment they brought to help us is not practical with our mission", the publication also quoted him as saying.

At least nine ambulances and a convoy of other vehicles were at the cave site Tuesday.

The perilous rescues have involved two divers accompanying each of the boys, all of whom have been learning to dive only since July 2, when searchers found them.

More news: Elon Musk visits Thai cave, brings his kid-submarine

After garnering headlines with initial ideas of installing a giant air tube inside the cave complex and using his firm's penetrating radar to dig holes to reach the boys, Musk offered his idea for the mini-sub.

Like this: