Published: Пн, Июля 09, 2018
Business | By Kate Woods

Treacherous Thai cave rescue bid enters day two

Treacherous Thai cave rescue bid enters day two

Sixteen days after the "Wild Boars" soccer team first went missing in the cave, the second rescue operation began at 11am local time (4pm AEST).

Thai officials said Saturday they are anxious that heavy monsoon rain could soon make the job even more hard and they may need to quickly rescue the boys and the soccer coach from a partially flooded cave by helping them make risky dives to safety.

According to the previous medical aid plan, the footballers would be kept in the hospital's well-equipped sterile isolation room for one to two days after being brought out before their parents and relatives could see and visit them. Chiang Rai acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn, who is heading the operation, said that 13 foreign and five Thai divers were taking part in the rescue and that two divers would accompany each boy as they're gradually extracted.

The ordeal has riveted Thailand and made global headlines, and the search and rescue operation has involved worldwide experts and rescuers.

Authorities have paused the global effort to replenish air tanks along the treacherous exit route.

Narongsak Osottanakorn, Chaing Mai governor, said: "We will have to do the next mission as successfully as the one we did today".

Heavy monsoon rains lashed the mountainous Chiang Rai region, where the Tham Luang Nang Non cave is situated, for several hours overnight on Sunday.

Falling oxygen levels, and with numerous boys not able to swim well, present further risks should they panic as they are guided slowly through the pitch-black waters.

Читайте также: India can build on T20 success - Pandya

The Thai navy SEALS confirmed that four boys have left the cave. Early Friday, a former Thai Navy SEAL diver died after losing consciousness while returning from placing air tanks deep inside the caves. He said those conditions will not last if the rain resumes. CNN's Jonathan Miller reported that the eight boys and coach who remain stranded in the cave would likely have to stay put for a couple of days due to issues restocking oxygen supplies.

NowMedia will update this story as more information becomes available.

The boys set out to explore the vast Tham Luang cave, which is known in the area as off-limits, after soccer practice on June 23. Drilling a hole into the mountainside to lift them to safety - as 33 Chileans were rescued from a collapsed mine in 2010 - was dismissed because the boys' location couldn't be pinpointed accurately, and it wasn't clear how drilling could alter the mountain's geology.

Heavy rain started falling as soon as the four were removed from the cave.

The ordeal has riveted Thailand and captured the world's attention.

Thousands of people including soldiers, navy and police have been mobilised for the operation to save 12 young footballers and their coach from the Moo Pa team - or "wild boar" in Thai.

Handwritten notes by the children trapped in a cave read, from the top: 'Please don't worry Dad and Mom, Biw has been gone for two weeks, I will help mom sell her goods every free day, I'll quickly make my way.' The message below reads: 'Please don't worry, be happy. "I want to say thanks for all the support and I want to apologise to the parents", he wrote.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2018 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Like this: