Published: Wed, May 16, 2018
Global | By Marsha Munoz

TV Producer Dies After E-Cigarette Explodes & Burns 80% Of His Body

TV Producer Dies After E-Cigarette Explodes & Burns 80% Of His Body

- The autopsy report for a man whose vape pen exploded, causing a fire in his St. Petersburg home, shows the exploding pen - not the fire - killed him.

Bill Pellan, director of Investigations at the Pinellas County Medical Examiner's Office, confirmed the report to WFTS.

Tallmadge D'Elia, 38, died May 5 in a house fire with about 80 percent of his body burned.

FEMA recently reported that there were nearly 200 incidents involving exploding vape pens between 2000 and 2016, but D'Elia is the first person in the USA to die as a effect.

More news: Stop attack on Gaza: Lebanese actress appeals at Cannes with placard

A 38-year-old Florida man was killed when the vape pen he was using exploded, launching two pieces of the object into his head. The death was ruled an accident.

E-cigarettes that are similar in size and shape to traditional cigarettes come with a smaller wattage unit and therefore may not have the power to fail as dramatically, said Thomas Kiklas, chief financial officer of the Tobacco Vapor Electronic Cigarette Association.

Experts fault the lithium ion batteries used in e-cigarettes.

Gary Wilder told ABC he refuses to sell the devices, fearing they will overheat.

More news: Volvo S60 will cut diesel option, debuts soon

A representative from Smok-E Mountain told ABC Action News that their devices do not explode.

The brand of vaping pen was recorded as Smok-E Mountain Mech Works, which produces unregulated e-cigarettes described as not coming with "safety features".

Though such incidents are rare, this isn't the first time a spontaneous e-cigarette explosion has raised concerns.

Reports do not indicate what caused this particular e-cig explosion, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration claims that e-cigarette explosion incidents can be related to problems with the battery in a vaping pen. In 2016, an e-cigarette exploded in a NY man's trousers pocket.

More news: Mohoric wins Giro stage, Yates retains pink as Chaves drops away

Like this: