Published: Sat, May 12, 2018
Medical | By Marta Holmes

HSE Director General resigns amid Cervical Check scandal

HSE Director General resigns amid Cervical Check scandal

He added that there were clear communication failures surrounding the CervicalCheck audits, but that he is confident a review announced by the government last week "will demonstrate the quality and value of the CervicalCheck programme once it is complete".

In a statement released by the HSE on Thursday evening, it has been announced that the Director General Tony O'Brien would be stepping down from his position with nearly immediate effect, with his last day being Friday 11 May.

When asked what budget has been put aside for the supports, Minister Harris said whatever resources are needed will be provided.

The Health Minister said he is determined to get to the bottom of "who knew what and when" about the Cervical Check scandal.

More news: How Punjab Gain Toss, Opt To Field Compared to Kolkata

"I do think it's right and proper that we now listen to the concerns of women in relation to this".

"The government are not actually capable of minding us and that's their job, to make sure we're OK".

Mr Harris said he has ordered a trawl of documents in the Health Department.

A 30-year veteran of both the public and private sector, Connaghan previously worked for the NHS in Scotland from 2006, an organisation he also subsequently served as interim director general.

More news: Zinedine Zidane sidesteps talk of Neymar Real Madrid move

Mr O'Brien said that he looks forward to engaging with Dr Gabriel Scally, who is heading up the scoping inquiry into the controversy, and will cooperate fully with him.

"Would I be happy for my children or my mother to see how I behave?"

"The little things that we can do as a State that will make a meaningful difference in trying to ease somewhat, in some small way, the burden that women and their families are facing".

More news: Guardiola hails Bernardo Silva as flawless Man City player

Like this: