Published: Tue, April 17, 2018
Global | By Marsha Munoz

Baby's parents lose court battle over life support

Baby's parents lose court battle over life support

Doctors have said they can provide no further treatment for the little boy, but his parents, Tom Evans and Kate James, have fought against the decision.

Court of appeal judges ruled yesterday that Tom Evans, 21, and Kate James, 20, could not take their son Alfie Evans overseas to receive treatment for a rare degenerative brain disease.

Paul Diamond represented Alfie's parents Thomas Evans and Kate James.

In February, Mr Justice Hayden ruled that doctors at Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool could stop treating Alfie against the wishes of his parents following hearings in the Family Division of the High Court in London and Liverpool.

They lost a challenge at the Court of Appeal to the ruling he should have palliative care and failed to have the decision overturned at the Supreme Court and European Court of Human Rights.

More news: Here's All the Free Stuff You Can Get on Tax Day 2018

Diamond said he will file an appeal with the Supreme Court by Tuesday afternoon, The Liverpool Echo reported.

"Alfie, the family and all of our supporters are stronger than ever and we will keep fighting all the way".

But Lord Justice Davis, Lady Justice King and Lord Justice Moylan ruled against them. Tom also claimed he had video evidence of hospital staff falling asleep during times in which they were supposed to be caring for Alfie.

Alfie, born in May of 2016, suffers from an unknown neurological degenerative condition which hospital staff say has reduced him to a vegetative state and corroded his brain matter.

Lord Justice Moylan said that it was wrong for Alfie's parents to say that their own views trumped the best interests of the child.

More news: African leaders urged to emulate, sustain Winnie Mandela's legacies

Those hearings led to Mr Justice Hayden setting a time and date for life support to be switched off at a High Court Hearing earlier this week.

In a statement, Alder Hey Children's Hospital said it trusted that "the public and supporters of Alfie's parents will read in detail the decision of the Court of Appeal following today's hearing".

He then alleged the hospital called the police to prevent him removing his son, with officers allegedly telling him he would be "arrested for assault" if he attempted to remove Alfie.

Alder Hey said in a statement: "We would ask that noise levels outside the hospital are kept to a minimum and for example vehicle horns are not sounded".

He said medical experts' unanimous view was that Alfie's brain had been eroded by disease and further assessment was pointless.

More news: Former Donkey Kong world record holder Billy Mitchell releases official statement

Chief Inspector Chris Gibson said: "Whilst many people have gathered to protest in a peaceful way, Merseyside Police is now investigating a small number of reports, some of which originate from social media, as well as instances of verbal abuse and acts of intimidation from those outside the hospital".

Like this: