Published: Tue, March 20, 2018
Culture&Arts | By Laurence Reese

Time's Up Urges Andrew Cuomo to Investigate New York County District Attorney

Time's Up Urges Andrew Cuomo to Investigate New York County District Attorney

The open letter follows aNew York Magazine article that was published on Friday outlining the mishandling of a 2015 sexual assault case involving Harvey Weinstein and model Ambra Battilana.

Battilana reported Weinstein, who has now been accused of sexual abuse by dozens of women, groped her breasts at his Manhattan office in 2015.

"We will of course provide the attorney general with any necessary information, and expect that he will promptly determine that our office has been guided exclusively by the facts and the law".

Mr Cuomo said the office told him the investigation will be completed within 45 days.

New York's governor on Monday ordered the state attorney general to review a 2015 decision by Manhattan prosecutors to not pursue a sex abuse case against Harvey Weinstein.

More news: DG: US seeks reforms in WTO's functioning

"We are confident that any review will confirm that our office has pursued its investigation without fear or favor, based on the merits alone", Vance spokesman Danny Frost said in a statement. The statement from the group came after NY magazine published an article about the 2015 case involving an Italian model who said Weinstein groped her. The district attorney's office decided there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute. The Manhattan District Attorney is now in the midst of a separate investigation, which involves witnesses and facts from the 2015 case. Retired SVD Sergeant Michael Bock, who worked on the case, said the SVD went so far as to hide Battilana from the DA to avoid the office's attempt to discredit her testimony.

The Manhattan District Attorney's office says a criminal investigation into Harvey Weinstein is active and ongoing and a commitment to justice in sexual abuse cases is "unwavering".

A spokesperson for Boies issued a statement at the time saying: "David Boies was not Mr. Weinstein's lawyer on the case that was in front of the DA.'s office".

"We will continue working collaboratively and professionally to deliver just to victims of crime", they said.

The studio also said it was immediately releasing accusers from non-disclosure agreements which Weinstein had used to silence them, allowing women to speak up without fear of retaliation. Weinstein has denied having non-consensual sex with anyone.

More news: Donald Trump Jr.'s Secret Affair With Aubrey O'Day Revealed!

"There will only be real consequences for abusive behavior when our public officials, sworn to uphold the law, care as much about the rights of the victim as concerns for the accused", the letter added.

To date, dozens of women have accused Weinstein of abuse, following reports in the New York Times and the New Yorker previous year about his treatment of women, including some of those with whom he's worked.

The Weinstein Company has filed for bankruptcy, four months after a wave of allegations of sexual misconduct began to surface against the production company's co-founder, Harvey Weinstein.

The move was heralded by New York's Attorney General Eric Schneiderman as a watershed moment, one that would finally enable voices that for too long have been muzzled to be heard.

Adding to the drama late Monday, The Weinstein Co. filed for bankruptcy protection with a buyout offer from a private equity firm nearly two weeks after negotiations to sell the company to a group of investors fell apart.

More news: Vladimir Putin has won his 4th Russian Presidential election

Like this: