Published: Wed, March 14, 2018
Global | By Marsha Munoz

Florida School Shooting Suspect Will Face the Death Penalty

Florida School Shooting Suspect Will Face the Death Penalty

Last week Cruz, above, appeared before magistrate court via video where 17 attempted murder charges were added by the grand jury to the existing premeditated murder charges.

Broward County, Florida prosecutors announced in a filing on Tuesday that they were officially seeking the death penalty for Nikolas Cruz, who is charged with the Stoneman Douglas High School mass shooting massacre that left 17 dead and more than a dozen injured.

Nikolas Cruz is set to be formally arraigned Wednesday on 34 counts, including 17 first-degree murder charges.

More news: Racist letter campaign targets Muslim lawmakers in UK

The filing follows after Mr Cruz's attorneys signalled that their client was willing to plead guilty to avoid the death penalty.

CBN News has learned the office of Broward County State Attorney Michael Satz filed the formal notice of its intentions Tuesday. Finkelstein said Tuesday that the prosecutor's announcement was not unexpected, but again repeated that his team was ready to have Cruz plead guilty on all counts in exchange for 34 consecutive life sentences without parole. The action by prosecutors Tuesday does not necessarily mean a plea deal will not be reached.

The court is expected to enter a "not guilty" plea on his behalf, Mr Finkelstein said.

More news: Gigi Hadid And Zayn Malik Just Broke Up After 2 Years Together

The shooting has reignited the debate over gun control in Florida and across the country.

Anthony's family has filed notice that they will sue Florida authorities to seek money to cover the cost of his recovery. "We are not saying he is not guilty but we can't plead guilty while death is still on the table", Mr Finkelstein said.

Tony Montalto's daughter was one of 17 killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas in February.

More news: Revamped 'American Idol' reaches more than 10 million viewers

Like this: